Thursday, February 27, 2020

Unluck of the Irish

Connecticut Polar Bears waiting for lunch in Waretown, NJ, from left in back: Marco, Grumpy, CT Blogger, Captain. Down front: Fonz and Pogy.
Polar Bear Motorcycle Blog, Polar Bear Grand Tour, ride to Lighthouse Tavern, Waretown, NJ, February 23, 2020

By: Chris Loynd
Photos by: Grumpy, some by Fonz, last one by CT Blogger

Our ride Sunday was to an Irish pub covered in shamrocks. Their luck did not rub off on us.

On the way down, Anonymous Ed, who was leading, started looking down at his bike and slowing down and was clearly distracted. We made it off the exit for Waretown. In just a short bit he pulled into an empty parking lot. Most of us pulled in behind him. Captain stopped on the shoulder then impatiently shouted he'd go get us a table and was off.

Turns out Ed lost his shifter knuckle. He knew from Fonz, who had left half an hour earlier than our group, that there was a gas station just before the destination. So Ed power shifted his way there with Grumpy, Pogy and me following.

At the gas station Pogy came to the rescue with his fix-all kit. He produced zip ties and safety wire. We had Ed shifting his Harley in no time.

Meanwhile, we noticed Marco's bike parked around the side of the gas station. Marco wasn't there.

Lighthouse Tavern was walking distance from the gas station. However getting across the road was a challenge. There was a lot of traffic on the two lane highway.

We got across the road but scattered as we hit the parking lot. There's parking in front, alongside and in the back of the venue. Fonz was parked in front. Captain had already arrived and got one of the last spots there, Grumpy too. Ed led Pogy and me down the side then headed onto the gravel. Pogy and I balked and parked in the last macadam parking space on the side of the tavern.

Pogy was aboard his brand new GoldWing and wasn't ready to baptize it in stone chips. After we parked, he pointed out his new bike is already blood stained. He figured to practice removing the side panel plastics in his warm garage before needing to potentially do it on the side of a winter highway. Unfortunately it was more of a challenge than he expected and he ended up cutting his fingers and dripping on his bike.

Meanwhile, Ed just rumbled across the gravel and all the way around the back of the pub to park with Captain and Grumpy up front.

True to his mission, Captain had secured a table for us. But the mechanical issues ended up causing us to order lunch later than originally planned. We did get our order in just moments before the Bucks County Hogs who once again showed up in big numbers. The kitchen was a bit slow. After all, they got slammed with so many bears arriving at once. This has happened before at Lighthouse and is the reason we invoked EDP (Early Departure Protocol).

Meanwhile Fonz had already eaten and was ready to head back as soon as he signed in. Marco, who left extra early with Fonz told us what happened. He's not exactly sure, but was hearing rattling and having power issues that made him think his recently replaced driveshaft is still not right. At our destination, he was a bit more than 150 miles from home.

We had a lively discussion at lunch about motorcycle towing insurance and their allowances for miles and how many tows per month or year. Marco found out the hard way a couple of weeks ago that the New Jersey Garden State Parkway (GSP) has its own favored towing service. So Marco actually had to get two tows to get home, one to get him off the Parkway and a second one to haul him home. (New Jersey predatory politics at their finest.) That's why Ed didn't stop on the GSP when his shifter failed. He was determined to nurse the bike off the exit.

Fortunately, Marco was able to limp to the service station — off the GSP — and call his buddy. Marco and his pal went in together on a trailer some years ago. Fortunately his friend is really a good friend, Marco said like a brother, who was willing to spend the rest of his Sunday driving to New Jersey and back to Connecticut to rescue Marco.

Meanwhile our food arrived. Captain's consternation was only partially assuaged. Grumpy had to settle for lemonade because Lighthouse is a Pepsi establishment, no Coke. I told them we were sounding more and more like a bunch of grumpy old men. I wasn't in any hurry and my corned beef was delicious!

This week Polar Bear Grand Pooh-bah Bob Hartpence made a public plea for patience with our destinations.

As we headed home our advance scout, Fonz, called our group's ride leader Anonymous Ed to let him know the GSP was shut down for some reason. Police were diverting everyone to the George Washington Bridge. Ed pulled the group over and explained and Captain took the lead because he was more familiar with getting off the bridge and onto the parkways, thereby avoiding the dreaded and mendaciously monikered Cross Bronx Expressway. Nothing "express" about it. Just after crossing the GW Bridge headed north you have to be in the far right lane to dive onto the parkways.

On the approach on the NJ Turnpike we came upon an accident. That was some bit of slow moving congestion. Then we slogged through plenty of stop-and-go traffic to get to onto the bridge, our clutch hands cramping. We entered the bridge on the far left side where the Easy Pass Only lanes were. Then we blocked and moved and worked our group through solid traffic to the far right lane.

Captain and Pogy left the Hutchinson Parkway for I-287 and I-95. That left me in the lead with the rest of the group and we motored home without any additional drama. I heard later that Marco made it home okay too.



Polar Bear Photographer Bernie Walsh likes being in front of the camera too.

Fonz with breakfast and Marco waiting for a tow.

Captain ready to grab a table and put in his food order.
















Pogy's new GoldWing drew a crowd of admirers.

3 comments:

  1. Herpes is a serious and recurring disease which can't be cured through drugs or injections by the American doctors but the best way to deal with Herpes is by taking natural herbs medicine for permanent treatment.I'm here to appreciate Dr James for using his herbal medicine to cure my herpes virus. Is about 3 years and 6 months now I have been living with this virus inside of me and it have really really been a serious problem to me, I was so confused cause I have been taking several drugs to be cure but all of my effort was in vain, one morning was Surfing through the internet then I saw several testimonies about Dr James curing people from herpes virus / HIV AIDS and Immediately I contacted Dr James on his email: drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com. I told him about my troubles and he told me that I must be cured. He gave me instructions and which I rightly followed, so he prepared a herbal medicine and sent it to me through UPS SPEED POST, which I used (MORNING AND EVENING) for three weeks and I was cured. everything was like a dream to me and my herpes was permanently gone. Dr James thank you, I don't know if there is anyone out there suffering from herpes virus or any KIND OF diseases LIKE... DIABETES, CANCER,RECTUM EFFECTS, BOWEL OBSTRUCTION, HIV/AIDS, HERPES, HEPATITIS A&B, CARDIAC DISEASES, CHRONIC DISEASES, YELLOW FEVER, EPILEPSY, LUPUS, STROKE, SPINAL CORD, ECZEMA, KIDNEY DISEASES, ACME, BACK PAIN, DENGUE SCHIZOPHRENIA, APOLLO,MULTIPLES SCLEROSIS, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, VAGINAL DISCHARGING, ARTHRITIS, MENINGITIS itchy' contact.Doctor James and be free from your diseases because I am a living testimony, Dr James, is very good and honest herbalist doctor, he is also known as the Great herbal cure master for herbal root. Contact him now via his email: (drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com) (whatsapp or call him on +2348152855846)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to thank Mr Lorenzo Diego loan firm for giving me a loan of $350,000.00.if you need a quick loan avoid being scammed by fake lenders and apply from a genuine loan company I told myself that any Loan lender that could change my Life and that of my family after being scammed severally by these online loan lenders, I will refer the person to Mr Lorenzo Diego loan firm who gave me and my family happiness, although at first I found it hard to trust him because of my experiences with past loan lenders, I was in need of a loan of $350,000.00 to start my life all over as a single parent with 2 kids he is indeed a GOD fearing man, working with a reputable loan company. If you are in need of a loan and you are 100% sure to pay back the loan please contact him 
    E-mail mrlorenzodiegoloanfirm@outlook.com
    Whatsapp: +1(346) 226-2778

    ReplyDelete
  3. How I became a happy woman again
    With tears of joy and happiness I am giving out my testimony to all viewers on line, my problem with Stomach Cancer stage IB and HIV has caused me many pains and sadness especially in my family.
    I was so afraid of loosing my life, I suffered the embarrassment of visiting
    therapy hundreds of times, unfortunately they did not find a definitive solution to my problem, I cried all day and night, do I have to live my life this way? I searched all true the internet for care, I was scammed by internet fraudsters times without numbers… until a friend of mine who stays in the UK introduced me to a friend of hers who was cured of the same disease, and she introduced me to Dr Itua who cured her from Breast Cancer by this email/WhatsApp +2348149277967,  drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com. I contacted him and he promised that all will be fine and I had faith.He sent me his herbal medicines through Courier service and i was instructed on how to drink it for three weeks to cure,I followed the instruction given to me and Today am a happy woman again. He cures all kind of diseases like,Brain cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Ovarian cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma,Herpes,,Liver cancer,Throat cancer,Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresS sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Copd,Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma  Infectious mononucleosis,Intestinal cancer,Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Fibroid,Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Brain Tumor,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone ToxicityBladder cancer,Hiv,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Kidney cancer,Hpv,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors
    Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Sinus cancer,Hepatitis A,B/C,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer,Testicular cancer,Tach Diseases,Leukemia.

    ReplyDelete