Thursday, February 15, 2018

Wet! Wet! Wet! and Google WAZE

CT Polar Bear rain riders, arriving at O'Connor's, from left: Fonz, Anonymous Ed, Pogy and Captain.
Photo thanks to Bernie Walsh.

Motorcycle Polar Bear Blog, Polar Bear Grand Tour, ride to O'Connor's American Bar & Grill, Eastampton, NJ, February 11, 2018.

Pogy's version:

All I can say about today's ride is WET!WET!WET!


Departure time was 0845 from Stratford. Ed, Fonz and the Captain picked me up in Darien with Fonz in the lead. The ride down to O'Connor's was uneventful except for the RAIN - got there at 1100. 

Got a table, lunch and back on the road a little after high noon.  Three out of 4 of us got rockers today.


The ride back was much more fun because it was RAINING harder and we came back over the GWB - Holy Crap!!! Nothing like a lot of flooding on the left hand side of the road. When we got to the break off for 15 / 95, the Captain and I went 95. Fonz and Ed went 15 - 95. Was clear and I got home at about 1500.

Nothing like a little wet to sharpen ones skill set.

Till next time
Ride safe
Pog


Fonz's version:

(Editor's note: for those who do not know, WAZE referred to in Fonz's report is Google's traffic and maps app that uses real time traffic reports from other app users to help find the best route and avoid traffic delays.)



O'Connor's ride report by FONZ, or WET Willie

 We ALL earned the PolarBear water patch for this ride.



 I can comfortably report that riding in the wintery mix last week was more pleasurable than the consistent downpour we experienced this week. Pogy called me on Saturday and asked me to lead which I gratuitously accepted. I did mention to Pogy that I was planning on following WAZE, which would probably take us in a different direction depending on traffic. He did not have a problem with following as long as we were safe.

I arrived at the gas station across the street from our departure location 0841hrs and fueled up. I'm usually pretty good at timing myself to either be right on time or just past the meet time, which forces me to do catch up. Either way, I do this on purpose because I don't like getting dressed, then undressed, only to get dressed again in a hurry. I noticed Ed had set himself up in line and Captain was waiting for me. As I pulled up he asked if I'd like to sweep. I replied that I was prepared to lead because Pogy had asked me the day before. Captain informed me that I better talk to Ed because he was leading. Instead of talking to Ed, I just took the lead spot and took off. Ed just jumped into formation trusting I knew where I was going and Captain became the sweep by default...no worries.(As you can see in the pic that Bernie took, Ed keeps it tight). Instead of flying by Pogy and forcing him to do catch up at his pick-up location, I got off at the rest stop to pick him up and we were all able to safely merge back onto the highway as one.


Too tight and too loose, our CT Bears arrive at O'Connors.
 According to WAZE, I95 to the Cross Bronx then to the GWB was the way to go. Once over the bridge, WAZE also decided to reroute us towards the Lincoln tunnel and then back onto the Jersey Turnpike. We arrived at O'Connor's at 1100hrs.

There was a some conversation as to my choice of route and the fact that its been a LOOOONG time since Captain has even traveled on the Cross Bronx Expressway. Ed was surprised how well paved it was compared to his previous experience, which was a few years ago. Pogy enjoyed the reroute towards the Lincoln Tunnel that gave us about 9 1/2 miles of smooth sailing until we merged back onto the NJ Turnpike.

Once at O'Connor's, we changed tables 2 times before we finally settled on the romantic table near the fireplace. We all strategically placed our gear around the fire in the hopes to dry it off before our ride back. Lunch was good. The LALALALA soup was delicious...you had to be there. Bob came by to greet us and give the guys some lip that they abandoned me last week. It turns out that we all had separate conversations and miscommunicated. Captain stated he would have come with me if I had called...my bad!  Prior to our departure, I asked the group of they wanted me to follow WAZE or just take the Garden State Parkway. It was decided to allow me to navigate using WAZE. The rain got heavier at times and our speeds reduced significantly. The first reroute occurred as soon as we got onto the turnpike. Instead of the cars only side, WAZE said the truck/cars side. As we were traveling North, I immediately noticed the traffic on our side was significantly less. We were able to maintain speed for quite some time before traffic got heavier due to the weather. At one point, WAZE had us get off the normal route, onto RT 40 or 46 (I forget) then back onto I95 again.

As we approached the GWB, I went lower level and lost sight of Captain and Pogy. Ed stuck with me the rest of the way. It turns out they decided to continue I95 the rest of the way, which added time to their overall ride. Our route was 87 to the Saw Mill to the Hutch. Pogy reported getting home at 1500hrs. It turns out that the WAZE route we took was faster. I live about 19 miles North of Pogy and I got home at 1453hrs. I later found out that I95 was shut down in Fairfield casing heaver traffic than usual. I usually don't know why this navigation is rerouting me but I usually follow. Today it worked to my advantage because it got me out the rain about a 1/2 hour early.


Pogy picked up his rocker on this ride.

Captain got his season rocker and his gold . . . of course.

As the biker tee shirt says, "If I have to explain it, you won't understand."



No comments:

Post a Comment