Friday, February 9, 2018

S'no Way!

CT Polar Bear Fonz at the destination with Polar Bear Newsletter Editor Walter Kern.
Thank you Bernie Walsh for the photos!

Motorcycle Polar Bear Blog, Polar Bear Grand Tour, ride to Franklin House Tavern, Schaefferstown, Pa.

Editor's note: One intrepid Connecticut Bear made the ride Sunday. It's a long piece from Connecticut. The forecast was scary. But we have one rider who is snow fearless. And he made the ride. Here's his story . . .

By: Fonz.

Polar Bear Grand Tour Ride #13 ride report by PolarRican, aka FONZ or as Chris recently to referred to me...MANIAC After speaking to Pogy on Saturday, I got the impression that no one was interested in taking a chance on this Sunday's ride due to the inclement weather prediction. I was in communication with Anonymous Ed, who indicated he may be interested if he was able to prep his Super Bowl spread in time.

I've been known to ride when the weather has not been cooperative (http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/polar-bear-grand-tour

Here's a pic from Feb, 2015 when I arrived home from that storm.


Safe at home after 2015 Polar Bear run.

Therefore, I decided to initiate the EDP, in and effort to get there and back before anything serious could start, so left Bridgeport at 0645hrs.  Apparently, Ed needed more time to massage his chicken before frying it, so he chose not to join me.  After gassing up in Fairfield, I was on my way by 0700hrs.

I traveled via our NO NO, WHY ARE YOU GOING THAT WAY route, which took me South on I95 straight to the GWB, then to RT 80. The rest was a blur because I was singing to myself (I SOUND PRETTY GOOD).  I had the cruise control set at 70...NOT 80 Captain... and it was smooth sailing all the way down to exit 13. As I crossed over into PA, the sun peeked through the clouds to give me the impression that all was well.  I later found out that NOT the case and was merely just a tease.

As I continued traveling in a southerly direction, EVERY portable billboard was flashing the following: "WINTER WEATHER TODAY BE PREPARED" Yes I stopped to take a pic.  As I got to about exit 40ish I started noticing the DPW trucks staging on the side of the road, which was a constant reminder that I was riding the line with the weather.  As I got off exit 13, the flurries began.  The initial snowfall was tricky because the side roads were very slippery.




I made it to the Franklyn House Tavern at 1026hrs.  Bernie Walsh was there along with another biker waiting at the front door.  Bernie is the guy who's always taking pics of us.   As I was dismounting, Bob pulled up in his truck.  After entering the restaurant, I was able to enjoy one of the first pots of freshly brewed coffee and enjoyed casual conversation with two of the waitresses, who both knew people who lived in CT but could not recall the towns.

They were very impressed by the CraZy guy who just rode all those miles.  If I was single and had more time, it would have been a great evening (Of course that's all in my mind).

I looked at the menu that they had designed specifically for the tour and quickly realized they did not start serving until 11a.  As I continued drinking my coffee and looking out the window, I noticed the wintery mix was in full affect.  I made a command decision (ALL IN FAVOR...AYE...ANY OPPOSED...NAY) that I needed to leave before things got worse.  I found Bob and asked him if there was any way to sign in early so I could begin my 215 miles back.  He had no problem with me trying to be safe and allowed me to scratch my name and miles on a napkin.  Bob assured me he would pass it along to the flight.

After taking another pic and short video, I was on my way at 1100hrs.  The snowy mix was coming down significantly.  I cautiously made my way back to the highway and was pleasantly surprised that the roads were not as bad as the side roads, clearly the trucks that were staging had started doing their job. 

The snow mixed with rain quickly froze on my faceshield and MC.  Every time I hit a bump, a chunk of ice would dislodge from the front of the MC and hit a different part of my body.  It took about three hits for me to realize exactly what was actually happening.  The other vehicles out there apparently did not get the memo that a storm was happening because they were blasting by me as if I wasn't there.  Every time I created a safe space cushion, another dumb ass would get right in front of me.

There was a point where I realized I was on the edge of this storm because there were moments where I got relief for about 2 seconds (maybe 4 seconds) then right back into the storm again.  As I was making my way back, my stomach started rumbling.  I realized I hadn't eaten anything yet.  I decided not to stop until I knew I was clear.  After about an hour and a half, I got a consistent break from the snow and it turned to rain.  After another half and hour or so, the roads were dry with only the occasional flurry.  At this point I was comfortable enough to start looking for a place to feed my face.  I stopped somewhere off of Rt 80 and found a diner.  Of course everyone looked at me crazy because I still had icicles on my jacket.  After a delicious brunch, I packed it up and decided to head home.  The snow flurries had caught up to me and gotten a little heavier but not enough to moisten the roads.  I took 287 back to the Merritt Parkway, which added an additional 10 miles, and got home by 1445hrs with plenty of time to spare to make it to Anonymous Ed's house to watch the Super Bowl. My total miles for this ride was 440. 


Polar Bear Grand Tour Grand Pooh Bah Bob Hartpence, left, another crazy Polar Bear who rode today (sorry but do not have his name), center and Connecticut's own Fonz, left.


Fonz wasn't the only one braving the snow Sunday.


1 comment: