Friday, February 23, 2018

Snow Ends Just in Time

You only need a motorcycle-width path to go Polar Bearing! Shown is the driveway of this week's author.


Motorcycle Polar Bear Blog, Polar Bear Grand Tour, ride to The Exchange, Rockaway, NJ, February 18, 2018


Ride report by FONZ
This week's ride was to the Exchange in Rockaway NJ.  It was predicted to snow on Saturday into the morning Sunday so I wasn't expecting a big showing.  I decided to wait until the morning to make my final decision.  The snow had stopped and according to the weather report it was going to be warm enough to keep the black ice away.  At 0700hrs, I grabbed my shovel and created a path just wide enough for me to get out.  As I took a break from shoveling I checked my email and noticed Captain had sent a message indicating that he was concerned about black ice and he was considering driving.  Figuring I was going to be on my own again I decided to plan my departure at 0930hrs.  I spoke to Pogy who stated he couldn't make it due to a planned trip with the wifey.  He did report that I287 clear with no black ice issues.  After speaking to Ed, we decided to meet at the Fairfield rest stop on I95.  After I completed shoveling  I spoke with Captain and informed him of my plan.  He stated he was not sure if he could make it to me in time so I should leave him behind if he's not there at 0930hrs.  Since I changed the time I advised him that I would wait...no worries.  After getting dressed I got on my Ultra and SHUCKS she didn't start.  I was cutting it close for time so I quickly jumped on my wifeys Softtail Slim (picture attached).  When I started the MC, she ran outside and yelled "What are you doing?!?"   I wanted to yell back I'm going to buy a pizza but I didn't want to take any chances.  She made me promise that I would clean her baby when I returned.  I gladly accepted and took off.
When I arrived at the rest stop Ed was already waiting.  After gassing up I noticed Captain was there and ready to go.  We left with me and my WAZE assisting with the navigation and Ed took the sweep.  The highway was consistently wet in the 1st and 3rd lanes so I tried my best to stay in the middle to avoid the splashing from other vehicles.  I also decided to maintain a longer than usual space cushion (4 to 5 seconds) for safety and splash avoidance.  My decision came in handy because there was a point when we merged onto I287 when my WAZE notified me of an object in the roadway.  When you hear the message, my experience has been that you have approximately 4 tenths of a mile before you see whatever is being reported.  Right on cue, I noticed an opaque back near the center lane.  I also noticed a vehicle with its hazards on traveling in the middle lane that initially appeared to be going slower than that other traffic.  As I signaled to change lanes I immediately realized HOLY SHIT the vehicle was completely stopped on the highway in the middle lane right next to the debris.  Thankfully I had been alerted early enough which helped with avoiding a possible disaster.  The rest of the way down was uneventful other than the constant one way snowball fights we continued to experience because NO ONE cleaned off their cars.  
Upon arrival I decided to park in the front as to not risk slipping and sliding down their steep driveway.  Our arrival time was 1101hrs.  It turns out that there was a wedding on the lower level so sign-in was set up on the top level.  Initially I walked over to the high tables next to the bar.  Captain wasn't pleased with my choice because it was too far and he believed we would be ignored.  He found a bunch of tables next to the kitchen and allowed me to pic our final destination.  Lunch and sign-in were both quick and efficient.  The ride back was significantly better.  Most of the roadway was dry.  As I mentioned earlier, I promised to clean her MC so I followed Ed to have our buddy Gaije spray salt away on our MC's before we rode home to finish the process.  (picture attached)  Once I arrived home, I finished cleaning the MC.  I was cleared after her inspection.  It was a great day! 






No comments:

Post a Comment