Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Big Turnout and Surprise Guest

Big turnout this week. Connecticut Polar Bears in Highlands, NJ, from left: Captain, Lou, Token2, Pogy, John J., Fonz, CT Blogger, Marco, Mac and Scott.
Polar Bear Motorcycle Blog, Polar Bear Grand Tour, ride to Bahr's Landing, Highlands, NJ, March 8

By: Chris Loynd
Photos by: CT Blogger and Bernie Walsh

Your CT Blogger led this Sunday's ride. My plan changed dramatically as we passed the Darien rest stop.

I heard from Scott before I suited up Sunday morning. Nice weather and a tiny window in his work schedule meant he could join us. He lives in Stamford and waits to join us as we ride by the Darien services.

At the Dunkin' we had a good turnout already. Captain, John J., Mac and Marco were in the parking lot; Marco aboard his new Goldwing. That made five of us to start. That's as many as we often get in total.

As I approached the Darien rest stop I counted four more bikes waiting. Pogy I expected. There was a possibility that Pogy's friend Lou would join us. I added him to the email list just the week before. He was there. As we rode by I counted four bikes. I did not know who was aboard the fourth.

Each week I send an email to dozens of Connecticut riders. Everyone is welcome.

Leading with a half-dozen bikes is one thing. With nine bikes in line, you have to rethink your strategy. That many bikes, practicing safe following distances, strings out the length of three tractor-trailer trucks. It's like chasing lanes with a train, not a few motorcycles.

I am fine with leading a big group; I've done it plenty of times. It just requires a change in strategy. Fortunately, I had a very good sweep. John J. was attentive to my requests, made holes when we needed them and in most all cases the guys behind me waited for cars to clear once John J. took control of the target lane.

Despite our best, and seriously responsible, efforts to be courteous in traffic, we had our share of idiots.

Approaching the George Washington Bridge on the Westside Highway we were unwittingly featured in "Fast and Furious 35" (or whichever number the franchise is up to nowadays). Three similar Honda cars came zooming through traffic like maniacs. The were weaving and cutting off cars with moves measured in inches, not feet. I am waiting for my residuals from Universal Pictures. Having survived the ordeal, I'll gladly sign my contract.

As we exited onto the city street to mount the GW Bridge, there they were, parked partially on the shoulder. I didn't see the filming truck. But I can think of no other reason for such boorish, inconsiderate, stupid driving behavior unless we were in a movie.

That doesn't explain the car on the other side of the GW Bridge. I think he was just a rude idiot. The guy cut me off to switch to the Local I-95 lanes. Past the last possible minute he changes his mind and dives back in front of me for the Express Lanes. He cut across the media, hit a pothole and kicked up a rock that hit me in the chest.

After that the excitement abated. All the way I did my best to maintain a steady speed. There were a few times I tried to pull us along faster or slow us down to accommodate traffic. Diluted by the eight bikes behind me, my efforts were not always effective. We had some cars cut our line. Fortunately most of them did not stay or the other bikes were able to get around them.

Our route was pretty straight forward, I-95, Parkways through New York, NJ Turnpike to Garden State Parkway. There's a long jaunt down to the shore on a local road with lights. I think John J. and I managed it pretty well. We lost our continuity to traffic lights only a couple of times.

As we slowed on the local road and stopped at traffic lights, our group compressed enough for me to get a clear view in my mirrors of all the riders. When that happened I looked over at my wingman, the Captain, and shouted, "Is that Token?" He shrugged.

There was a bright green sport adventure bike in our group. I know of only one Polar Bear who would ride such a garish machine. (Well, actually two, but I was pretty sure it wasn't Thumper. His bike is more subdued.)

When we finally pulled into the parking lot at Bahr's Landing I was sure it was him! Token2 was the unknown bike waiting at Darien. What a pleasant surprise!

He lives in Virginia now. This week he had business north and decided to join us on his extended ride home. He had a 3:00 p.m. reservation on the Cape May — Lewes ferry (see photo below).

Lou also joined us. It was his first time with the Connecticut Polar Bears. We'll see if he returns. I think he had a good time. He was at the other end of our long table at the restaurant, so I didn't get much conversation time with him. I heard from Pogy later there was a move by some of our pack riders that concerned him. Despite what you read above, I do not encourage, nor endorse, aggressive riding.

Marco scrapped his old bike after it ate not one but two driveshafts. He loved his old bike, yes. However he was singing praises for the new Goldwing on Sunday.

Token2 commented how thin the Harley ratio has become among the Connecticut Bears. He would likely have a different nickname had he joined us nowadays.

Fonz did not ride with us Sunday. He had a visit in Long Island and showed up in time to sign-in and head for home.

Bahr's Landing did not disappoint. The food was fabulous, the view spectacular. There's a beautiful set of big windows with waterfront views. It was clear enough to see NYC.

A big dock next to the restaurant is rumored to be our destination some day in the future when we all arrive on Captain's submarine. He's making progress, but not promising a ride for us next year. You can see his project on SubsCT.com.

We had a less eventful, but more challenging, ride back. There's more traffic later in the day. Still we got through the Oranges feet-up and across the Tappan Zee in good time. On I-287 our group split between those preferring the Merritt Parkway to I-95.

Our season is winding down, just five rides left, one more than normal due to an unexpected cancellation. If you've been reading this blog and thinking of joining us, jump in, the weather's fine. If you're not on the email list for departure times, my contact info is in the bio: chrisloynd@optonline.net. Life's too short to not ride year-round!

At left, Marco and Pogy compare and contrast their new Honda Goldwings.

Pogy's new ride on left and Marco's on right.



Mac earned his red rocker on this run.

Polar bearing via submarine someday?


CT Blogger earned his 60-point pin and held it upside down for his selfie.


Polar Bear photographer caught us arriving. That's me up front. Where's my wingman?

Scott always rides at the back of that pack. That's just how he rolls.

Old Honda, my 1997 STll00.

New Honda, Marco's Goldwing, I think 2019?

Token2 our surprise guest.

Mac a dyed-in-the-wool Harley guy.
Token2 headed home. His bike in lower left corner. Not tied down, just in gear.


No comments:

Post a Comment