Friday, January 31, 2020

Windy Ride

Polar Bear Motorcycle Blog, Polar Bear Grand Tour, ride to Pic-A-Lilli Inn, Shamong, NJ, January 5, 2020.

By: Chris Loynd
Photos by: Grumpy

January's jammin' for me at work, so my blog fell behind. The ride the week before our trek to the epynomous Shamong was cancelled for a surprise problem by the restaurant. It's a shame because it's the closest for us Connecticut bears. The ride will be rescheduled at the end of the season.

At this last day of January I remember little about the ride. Grumpy was lead. It was smooth except for a blustery crosswind. I've written before in this blog about the affect of wind on my high-sitting Honda covered in slabs of plastic.

Everybody was feeling it. And Grumpy took pity on me, especially once we were off the turnpike. The flatlands between Fort Dix and Shamong do little to discourage the wind. It was worse in the morning, better in the afternoon.

We got to Pic-A-Lilli just ahead of the Bucks County HOGs. We were lucky to get our order in ahead of them. They generally show up with a couple of hundred riders and crush the kitchen into a crawl. We had a small table in the center. Marco showed up just as we were ordering. Then the Bucks County riders came in as waiters and busboys put tables together. They took the whole wall of the restaurant, seated at both sides of the table and on the ends.

Marco just missed us for departure. I've done the same myself a time or two. There was one memorable run years ago to central Jersey, a long ride. I did the same as Marco, even a little later, showing up after my guys had ordered.

The restaurant was great as always. The food was good. The service attentive. We told some good stories and skirted around the dangerous edges of political conversations. It was a good time like every Polar Bear run. Enjoy the photos. Oh and the group picture didn't come out.



















No comments:

Post a Comment