Monday, October 30, 2017

A Pointless Day

Motorcycle Polar Bear Blog, Polar Bear Grand Tour, ride to Cape May, NJ, October 29, 2017

First ride of the 2017 - 2018 Polar Bear 40th Anniversary Season

By Token

Hello, Token 2 here reporting on the first ride of the 40th sea
son of the Polar Bear Grand Tour. In keeping with tradition, the destination was the VFW in Cape May.
Over the summer I moved to Virginia, so I can no longer claim to be a fully-fledged CT bear. However, by prior arrangement I traveled north to join the CT Bears on the opening ride of this milestone season. Pogy had stored my ride at his Norwalk home and graciously hosted me for a couple of nights prior to Sunday’s departure. 
Distance precludes continuing to participate in the Polar Bear Grand Tour, consequently this was a pointless ride for your author, undertaken for the pure joy of once again traveling in the CT Bear echelon. 
It is five years since Superstorm Sandy caused the opening to be cancelled. Mother nature decided to celebrate the occasion by serving up a nor’easter that was projected to gather itself during Sunday. Bob, the Grand Old Bear, put out a note to settle everyone’s nervousness that had been pushed to fever pitch by hyperventilating weather forecasters. The ride was on, the PB management would be at the VFW, come on down and pick up your sweat shirts. Woo hoo, let’s go!
And so it was that my wheels rolled out of County Street, Norwalk at about 6.30am in a steady rain. It was an honor to be asked to lead the ride. I95 was busier than expected for the early hour and amid darkness and rain it was challenging to pick up the lights of the following riders. However, keeping a steady pace, I anticipated that my fellow bears would come into view as daylight broke. In the meantime, I was amused to watch two giant Dunkin Donut coffee cups pass to my left, permanently cemented into place in the back of a couple of passenger vehicles. Heading to some promotional event or other, or perhaps owned by very thirsty, caffeine crazed drivers?
Daylight emerged slowly, much like an energized CFL bulb. By 7.30am the morning light was good, the rain had stopped, now I should see the guys. Check the mirrors, nothing but empty space. Check again, nothing. And then I remembered the horror that I had tried to block out. I did not leave the CT Bears; they left me. 
Pogy, Captain and Ed begged off the ride in view of the gathering storm. Grumpy was nursing a bad back. Chris; working, working, working. Fonz and Mac, somewhere in the Connecticut weeds.  The decision not to ride was smart of course, with 3-5 inches of rain forecast in the NYC area in the afternoon. Thunderstorms and high winds to boot. 
Your author had a booking on the Cape May – Lewes ferry to continue the journey to Virginia, punctuated by a stay in a Lewes hotel to avoid riding in the rain and dark. Not having to turn around and head back into the eye of the storm was my salvation.
The weather facts on the way south. Warm, unseasonably warm. Wet for the first 30 miles and then dry for the next 100 miles or so. The rain returned, intermittent and light at first. Sixty miles out from Cape May the rain became persistent and steady, thirty miles out it was just darned fugly rain. Torrential but no lightening.
Rivers of water surged between my toes with every step as I hauled myself into the Saltwater café about 10.30 for an early lunch (time to get new boots I guess). Dripping wet of course; puddles forming on the tile floor. I hope they let you back in the café come the spring.
It turned out to be the easiest lunch check to divvy up in my entire CT Bear career; heck, I didn’t even need a calculator. Attached is a picture of lunch, just so you haven’t completely forgotten about the quality of the food come April.
There were a few bikes at the VFW when I rolled up at 11.45am. No sign in for me but I made sure Bob, Jim and anyone else who would listen knew that the stories of CT Bear daring-do had this day been shattered into a thousand parts. ‘No Bob, I am not joking’.
Yes, yes, the near mythical invincibility of the Captain has been rendered asunder. Bernie, the Philly photographer, was floored, a hairs breadth from needing CPR when it dawned on him that his darkened basement wall of Captain pictures would have a yawning gap. 
Yes, an astonishing and entirely pointless day indeed.
So, gentlemen, gird your loins for your trip to Lewes next week. I think Bob will having something to say about it.
I picked up my anniversary sweat top; very nicely done.
A celebratory cake was on offer, to Bob’s delight as shown in the ‘Bob shot’. 
No group shot accompanies this report, because there wasn’t a group, it would have been a selfie. Unlike Princess I don’t do selfies… but substitute the view of Cape May from the ferry.
Enjoy our season. Ride safe. Ride often….and who knows when I will emerge from witness protection for you to take revenge!
 T2
Token's meal, puddle under the table not shown.



Polar Bear staff, including Bob, made it to Cape May.


This year's shirt.

Token headed home on the Cape May - Lewes ferry.

Despite what he said, we captured this photo of Token2 riding home from Cape May. He's not afraid of rain!


No comments:

Post a Comment